Friday, September 10, 2010

Welcome to Cameroon!

                I spent my summer telling people about the adventure to Africa that I was about to embark upon, but it didn’t really sink in that I was going to Africa. It finally hit me when Cherilyn and I climbed into the bus that would take us to Transfer T in the Brussels airport. While we were standing wedged between all the Cameroonian passengers about to board the same plane as me, it started becoming real. Cherilyn and I arrived safely in Buea, Cameroon on Monday evening. It was about 8 o’clock by the time we arrived at our apartment, and we could hardly keep our eyes open. Our room was a welcome sight after our hours of travel and sleepless nights.
                Tuesday was market day! For those of you who have had the pleasure of shopping at an outdoor market in Africa, you may be able to identify with my experience. We took two locals with us to help us find the best bargains. It had been raining all day, so the water was flowing freely through all the booths and across the paths. We must have been quite a sight: two locals strolling through the market like they owned the place, their umbrella’s held high, warding off the rain; and two totally lost, soaking wet, Americans sloshing through the mud, trying to keep up. We bargained, scrutinized merchandise, crossed streams, converted Francs to US currency, and avoided Cameroonians looking for an American wife for two hours. It was a very stressful afternoon, but well worth it when we got back to our room and took inventory of all we had purchased.
                Wednesday we talked to the Hospital staff and found out exactly what we are expected to do. It was a bit overwhelming, but also good to know what we need to accomplish. We hung out at the clinic, trying to help out wherever we could. I was able to assist Dr. Trixy while she removed a hemorrhoid. It was pretty cool. 
                Thursday Cherilyn was asked to help dress a little girl’s burns. The burns were about a month old so it was mostly scar tissue, and a small scab that needed to be cleaned up. I was asked to give an IM injection. It has been a while since I’ve given one, but it was ridiculous how ignorant I felt! It was like I’d never seen a needle or filled a syringe before. I drew blood later, and it wasn’t as bad, so hopefully I’m just a little rusty from the summer.
                We went to Colowell’s for Bible study last night. After everyone else left we did our best to make an American meal- Banana pancakes, and popcorn. I’m sure most of you have had the opportunity to watch popcorn popping on the stove, but I have never had that experience. I feel like I’ve really missed out, so last night I indulged and watched it. Twice. While we munched my freshly made popcorn, we watched a British detective show called, Foyle’s War. Towards the end of the show Trixy brought the kittens out, so we all got to cuddle one.
                Today, we only spent a few hours at the clinic. However, I was still able to get in on a little of the action that is constantly happening there. There was a four or five year old girl that needed a malaria test. The other nurse, Christiane, handed me the lancet, cleaned the finger with spirit (what they use for alcohol), and gestured for me to poke the finger she held up to me. I did. The little girl ripped her finger from Christiane’s grasp, and started bawling. Christiane immediately went after the bloody finger, the little girl fought bravely, but she was no match for our blood drawing team. Between the lab tech, Christiane, Cherilyn and the girl’s mother, they got the drop of blood needed for the test. While I stood by, traumatized by the tizzy I had thrown the little girl into, simply holding my lancet. When we said goodbye to the little girl, she wouldn’t even look at us. I don’t think she was too happy.
                Bill took Cherilyn and me to Limbe today. It is a coastal city, about 20 miles from Buea. We were on a mission to find a gas bottle for our new stove in our apartment. We scoured the city, top to bottom, front to back, and every other way, but couldn’t find one that the owners were willing to part with. However, it wasn’t a totally wasted trip because we got to eat at Chella’s. Bill says it is the best “empty” (vegetarian) food in Cameroon. I must say, it was very tasty! Cherilyn and I also got to take a little tour through Limbe Wildlife Center. We got to see how we compare in size to a gorilla 
                When we got back from Limbe, we went up and helped Bill wipe mold off the walls in the hospital. Many hands make light labor, so it didn’t take too long. On her evening walk, Trixy found a gas bottle for our stove, and Bill went to the carpenter’s house and picked up the stand for it. They helped us get it all set up, so tomorrow we will be able to make our own food, and won’t be living off the snacks our moms sent us.   


If you want to hear more about what we are doing, check out Cherilyn's blog: simplechacolife.blogspot.com 

2 comments:

  1. Moriah, you and Cherilyn are so brave! It feels so good to read about your experiences. Even though they are different from mine, we are all away from home and having new, and sometimes difficult, adventures. Praying for you two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Mo! Keep these reports coming. I enjoyed reading this one. Sounds like it has already been and will continue to be and amazing and fruitful experience.

    ReplyDelete